PDHPE is often on the bottom of the pile on a teachers’ to do list and a lot of teachers feel unenthusiastic about it. It is important to remember that if you are excited about something; your students will be too.
As teachers we need to be good role models and that means promoting good health practices. A PDHPE lesson should begin with a warm up game, followed by stretches, the body of the lesson, a warm down game and end with stretches and discussion about what the students learnt and enjoyed in the lesson.
Here are some great warm up/down games that I have seen work really well:
- Students sit in two lines with feet together
- Students are given a fruit name (e.g. apple, banana, pineapple, pear, watermelon)
- Teacher calls out a fruit and those students run through the gaps to their spot
Indians and Teepees
- Students make a large circle
- Every second student moves in front of the student next to them
- The student on the outside is the tepee and the student on the inside is the Indian
- The Indian sit and the tepee stands with their legs apart
- When the teacher calls out Indian, the Indian must crawl through the tepee’s legs and run clockwise to their spot
- When teacher calls out tepee the tepee must run around the Indian and run clockwise back to their spot
- Students hold hands with a partner
- Two students are the taggers
- Once students are tagged they must make a bridge with their hands
- Students who aren’t tagged need to run under the bridge to free them
- Students make a line
- Two taggers
- Teacher tells students the toppings – pineapple, ham, cheese, pepperoni etc
- Students silently choose their topping
- Teacher calls out a topping and the students run to the other side
- Students place an oztag tag on their side or in the back of their pants as a tail
- Students run around collecting other students’ tails
- Once your tail is stolen you must find another to put back in
- Students must move outside the bounds to place a new tail in
- Two taggers
- Students run away from taggers
- Once tagged, students must run around holding the spot they have been tagged
- Once tagged three times, the students must run to a designated spot (hospital) and then back which magically cures them
What warm up / down games do you use?
Do you have any PDHPE tips?
digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net